In the future, all winter tires will be judged against this one.
Building on the exceptional success of the Ice Guard IG10, the all-new Ice Guard IG20 represents a great leap forward in winter traction technology. Designed to cut through the watery film on ice that causes micro-hydroplaning, the IG20 features Yokohama's over a billion absorptive carbon flakes and more than 5 billion resin-coated shelled microbubbles. The tread design has been refined to offer better grip during acceleration, cornering and braking in the worst winter weather, including in slush and snow and on ice. The IG20 has also been optimized to provide long-lasting wear and low road noise. But don't take our word for how well it performs when winter is at its worst - you be the judge!
- Two compound elements combine to eliminate the thin film of water that causes slipping:
- Absorptive carbon flakes use capillary action to draw water away from the surface.
- Shelled microbubbles absorb any remaining water & improve contact with the ice & snow surface.
- As the tire rotates, the water is expelled, prepared for its next contact with the road surface
- The silica with Zeruma agent compound enhances tire tread flexibility in very cold conditions, enabling it to grip the road.
- 3-D pyramid-shaped sipes interlock to maintain strong tread blocks, improving block stiffness during acceleration, braking & cornering. Multiple edges offer better grip & control.
- Groove-in-groove design along the edges of the tread blocks controls uneven wear by dispersing stress & heat.
- Micro-diagonal grooves on the initial tread surface provide immediate performance on slippery surfaces.
- 4 wide straight grooves accelerate water expulsion & improve directional stability for improved handling.
- Extended centre blocks reduce noise & improve braking & handling stability.
- Slush grooves on the outside blocks force slush & snow away from the centre of the tread.